Skokholm Puffin Photography Trip
Join me on a photography trip to visit the hidden gem of Skokholm Island, situated off the coast of South West Pembrokeshire.
Skokholm offers fantastic opportunities to photograph puffins, gullimots, razorbills, fulmars, manx shearwaters, peregrine falcons and more in an isolated, wild and tranquil environment. For me it is one of the most beautiful and magical places on earth.
Skokholm is very small, just a mile in length and half a mile across at its widest point but with such a small group on the island it feels very wild isolated. As you wander around the island it often feels like you are the only person there and you can always find a spot to sit and photograph alone. This short video gives a good feeling for the beauty of the island.
You won’t have to go far to find amazing photographic opportunites.
The small island is home to 4500 puffins and around 2000 Razorbills and Guillemot and a whopping 90,000 manx shearwaters! The trip is timed to coincide with the best time to view the puffins when they are constantly bringing in sand eels to their young. In many ways it is the perfect place for photography, with so many puffins shooting in and out if you miss one shot you get another chance just minutes later! There are also several hides set up around the island which can be used for photography which are handy if it rains.
The days will be divided between photography workshops and free photography time. Workshops we will cover include:
– HDR (High Dynamic Range) – learn how to take the most amazing landscape photographs with this technique.
– Time lapse – capture the true beauty of a sunset by creating a short film out by combining multiple photographs.
– Puffins in flight – I’ll teach you the techniques to get the best in flight puffin shots (this is tricky as they are 20cm tall and fly at 55mph!).
– Puffin silhouettes at sunset – I will take you to the best location in the island for beautiful silhouette shots.
When not in workshops you will have free time to photograph around the island. Each lunch and evening we will meet to talk about our adventures over some food and a drink. I’ll also be available for 1:1 tuition if you want to focus on any particular aspect of your photography.
One evening we will take an midnight walk out to see Manx Shearwater returning to their burrows and the colony of storm petrels at the end of the island. Hearing the haunting call of the Manx Shearwater in the dark is a unique experience in itself,.
The island offers basic but comfortable accommodation for just 16 people at a time (note: our photography group will be smaller than this!). The accommodation offered is rustic but comfortable, for me this adds to the adventure of the island and takes you right back to the basics. No mobile phone, no TV, just the sound of gulls and good conversation! There is electicity, running water and a communal kitchen offers gas cooking facilities. There is a small shop where you can stock up on the basics should you run out.
Dates: Next trip will be running in 2020.
Fee: Just £450 per person
– Accommodation on Skokholm island
– Tuition and advice throughout the trip both on your photography and the best locations for each subject
– Workshops each day on a specific subject: including HDR (High Dynamic Range), Time lapse, Image stacking (macro), Star trails, puffins in flight and puffin silhouettes at sunset.
– A friendly small like minded group to discuss your photography with!
What’s not included:
– Boat journey to Skokholm (c. £25 return)
– Transportation to Marloes (I will connect members by email so lift shares will be possible).
– Parking (£5 per night on a farm next to the port).
– Personal travel insurance (highly recommended, the trip may be cancelled if bad weather stops the ferry)
“I think Skokholm has become one of my favourite photographic destinations ever! Great place. Great company. And wall to wall Puffins, what’s not to like!” Ian Warnes
“Just wanted to add another message of thanks for the trip – had an absolute blast. Puffins it turns out are a tough challenge to photograph but that for me is what I really love and it looks like I’ve come away with some “keepers”. My mind is already thinking about next year!” Nigel Cooke
“Just a line to thank you for arranging such a great trip for us, I really enjoyed it and feel I have learned much more about my photography, with your kind help and never ending patience.” Julie Vowles
“Well another week has passed by since our trip to Skokholm. It was an absolute pleasure spending time with you all. I have learnt a lot about my photography in the short space of time. Already looking forward to next year.” Tim Clarke
This really is a fantastic trip and experience and one you won’t forget in a long time. After my first trip to Skokholm I was entirely hooked and can’t wait to get back again each year!!!
For more information or so book contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Spaces are very limited to contact me early to avoid disappointment
Trip highlights at a glance
– 3/ 4 days on the isolated island of Skokholm.
– Trip during the best wildlife viewing season of the year when puffins are feeding their young.
– 4500 puffins, 2000 guillemots and 90,000 manx shearwaters Vs. just 16 people on the island.
– Small group sizes (between 8 -12 people)
– Varied photography workshops
– Help with how to improve your photography.
– Advice on the best photographic locations on the island.
– Evening walk to view the Manx Shearwaters and storm petrels returning to shore.