Romania Danube Delta
This trip visits one of the most amazing wild places in Europe, the Romanian Danube Delta. You will stay within a 1000 hectare private estate, with access to the mosaic of lakes, reedbeds and woodland surrounding the lodge.
Reaching the reserve, Ultima Frontiera, is an adventure on its own; situated at more than 80 kilometres from the city of Tulcea and not connected by any road, you can only reach it by boat along the Danube river. This is an exciting trip that will enable you to enter one of the greatest wetlands in Europe, and to discover its flooded woods, small picturesque villages and an astonishing amount of wildlife.
Only 12 visitors at a time are allowed to stay inside the estate, and therefore the network of over 30 kilometres of trails are at your disposal, to be explored on foot or onboard the silent electric cars. These small vehicles are very good for approaching wild animals, and can be used as mobile hides for shooting great images. And there’s no need to worry about getting lost, as knowledgeable local guides will help you memorize easy landmarks which, combined with the useful maps and the signage, will make the discovery on your own being a unique and relaxing experience.
A wide range of photo hides of the latest generation offer nature photographers excellent opportunities to capture an abundance of wildlife from different perspectives from floating hides at water level, to drinking hides for woodpeckers and the dune-hide for white tailed eagles.
These purpose built hides offer wide windows with very high-quality glass and soundproof walls to allow you to observe wildlife without disturbing it. Additionally,the trip offers excursions on off road vehicles, to explore the surrounding steppes and Letea forest, as well as a boat ride on an innovative boat-hide for visiting the big lakes in the heart of the delta.
For more information on the reserve, hides and species please click here to download a pdf information pack.
27th June – 4th July 2020 (SPACES AVAILABLE)
Cost: € 2195 per person (c. £1820 as of 18/2/20) on shared basis (€ 150 extra for single occupancy)
Leader: Nick Lewis
Number of guests: Minimum 4, maximum 7
- Transfer from Bucharest airport to Ultima Frontiera reserve and back
- Accommodation at Ultima Frontiera lodge
- Sessions in all the available hides
- Excursions outside the estate as above
- SKUA guide inside the estate
- Electrical buggies
- Dinner and accommodation at NH Hotel in Bucharest on the last night.
– Tuition and advice throughout the trip both on your photography and the best locations for a wide variety of subjects
– A small friendly like minded group to discuss your photography with!
What’s not included:
– Alcoholic/ soft drinks
– Personal travel insurance (essential)
Trip highlights at a glance
– Opportunities to photograph a wide variety of species from purpose built hides.
– Trip during the breeding season, with associated high activity.
– Small group sizes (max 7 people)
– Local guides combined with expert tuition.
Day 1: Minibus and boat transfer to reserve
Days 2 - 6: Accomodation in the estate, where you will use hides and make excursions inside and outside the reserve including a trip to the inner delta lakes by boat and to the delta wetlands, steppes and villages.
Day 7: Return to Bucharest in time for dinner at NH Hotel and overnight at hotel. Accomodation at NH Hotel.
Day 8: Transfer to hotel